Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sewing Rebel

Construction guideline sheets in pattern envelopes are a mixed blessing. On one hand, they outline the steps needed to complete the garment. On the other, their techniques and sequence of construction are often awkward and give less than lovely results.

For the majority of my sewing life, I followed construction guidelines scrupulously. Even if I knew an alternative method, I would use the stated one. That’s what the pattern company recommended, and they should know, right? After all, they were the experts. If the finished results were not great, I blamed myself, my sewing ability, my fabric choice, the way I held my scissors, the rush I was in. It was always my fault, something I did.

One day, something snapped. I lost my blind faith in sewing patterns and their instructions. I no longer believed that the thick black lines on the pattern pieces were in the perfect spot, or the fine black print on the pattern instructions showed you the best method.

I decided to think for myself.

I became a sewing rebel.

Suddenly I was altering pattern pieces as well as the construction order. Sometimes I went even further, and threw away parts of both. I did what I wanted, what I thought was best. If I didn’t know how to do something, I researched it. There is a world of information out there – books, magazines, videos, blogs, classes. I experimented. I tried new ways to do things. If I was going to make mistakes, then I wanted them to be my mistakes.

My sewing world was transformed. I became more involved. More enthusiastic. I had fun.

I became the boss of my own sewing.

What about you, dear reader? Do you follow pattern guidelines? Do you cut your pieces along the thick black lines?

Or are you a rebel sewist?

         - Lady T

No comments:

Post a Comment