Follow by Email

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Who's On First?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Sewing always involves so many decisions. What to sew? Which fabric to use? Who to make it for? Sometimes a project gets bogged down before it even gets started.

Take Project #1 as an example. The choices are so wide open, it’s almost overwhelming. I have a closetful of fabric, a filing cabinet filled with patterns, and a houseful of people clamouring for something new to wear.  What to sew shouldn’t be a hard decision, but it is. Sometimes too much choice is just as bad as none. 

Some parameters would help. Since there aren’t any real ones, I’ll create a few artificial ones:

1.       It must be a garment.
2.       I shall be the lucky recipient. (Elaine of The Selfish Seamstress would approve.)
3.       The project must be quick and easy, so I will can bask in the feeling of accomplishment. (Therefore the winter jacket  is out.)
4.       I must use a tried and trued (TnT) pattern.

I feed the criteria into the local high speed data bank (aka my brain) and - bing! – out pops the answer. A knit top! Given the sorry state of my t-shirt collection, this is an excellent project. Now to find a worthy fabric...

Do you ever stall your creative energy with indecision?

              Lady T

2 comments:

  1. You know I do. I'm the queen of needing parameters. Good call on setting yourself some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indecision on one front or another is always a problem for me! Glad to hear I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete